Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sleep Study Strikes Back

Last night, Monday, was my second sleep study. Have I mentioned that I received my EOB from my insurance company and these studies are like $3,000!?? Yikes! Fortunately, the insurance covers it all. Where was I? I packed my pj's and my fuzzy bunny slippers (forgot my hairbrush, BTW) and trekked over to the hospital. One pleasant surprise was that I got to watch 24 before the tech came in to hook me up to all the electrodes. That way, if I dreamed, I got to dream about Jack Bauer saving my personal world!

Now, the plan was that if the results from the sleep study from the night didn't show definitive results, then I would stay on for a nap test during the day today. I was awoken (?) at 6 am, and told that I'd be staying for the nap test, which I took to mean that I flunked the sleep study. :(

It was nigh unto impossible to stay awake until 8 am and I welcomed that nap, even if it was only for 20 minutes. After the nap, I got to have breakfast and I was happily watching Monday's episode of Days of Our Lives on SoapNet when someone came in to announce that my nap test was done and that Dr. Pope could see me now if I didn't mind tromping around in my pj's. I said I didn't mind if they didn't mind, so I'm waddling around in my pj's and bunny slippers anticipating good news... and I wasn't disappointed. I had an average of 8.8 apnea events per hour over the night, and since insurance required a minimum of 5 per hour in order to cover the machine. whoo hoo!

Then after talking to the doctor, the woman who could fit me for my machine was free, so me and the bunny slippers (not to mention the atrocious hair) flopped into another office and we fit me for a machine. It'll take about a week for the machine to get here and I'll have another appointment wherein they run me through the operation of the machine and then I can finally look forward to a decent night's sleep.

I had originally thought that if I didn't have the nap test, I'd come home and sleep the day away. But I was so psyched about the results I didn't nap. Of course I'm now regretting that decision and think I'll be going to sleep now. Sweet dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment