Friday, April 15, 2011

T-2 Weeks

So on Wednesday of this week, Steve (Boss #1) advised me that he'd had the realization that we were "T-2 weeks" and he was getting "nervous."  I wanted to point out that he's known about this for months now and that I was the one who should be nervous, but I restrained myself and nodded soothingly.   A little bit later in the afternoon, he asked me if I knew what the "plan" was for while I was gone.  Now, I wanted to reply that MY plan was to relax on the balcony with my book, my cat, and my phone, but again, I used restraint and told him what I assumed the plan would be, as I had not officially been told the plan, in regard to who would be doing his stuff in my absence.

 

Steve isn't the only one getting nervous, however considering my previous emotional breakdown about a month ago (which I think was more hormone related than anything), I'm doing very well.  Even with the latest development – a .6 mm nodule was found on the chest x-ray they took during the pre-op testing at St. Vincent's last week.  Now if you Google "nodule chest x-ray," you come up with some pretty scary things, including the Big One.  Of course, I knew immediately that I could eliminate sarcoidosis, because it's never sarcoidosis.  (If you watch House, you'll understand.)  My immediate thought is to freak out, but I said a prayer and I emailed my prayer peeps and since then I've been doing good.  Even my therapist was impressed.

 

They've done subsequent x-rays and I am scheduled for a CT scan of my right lung for this afternoon.  Unfortunately, it's a Friday, so I have to get through a whole weekend knowing nothing.  Sigh.

 

But since we are T-2 weeks, I have to start doing things in preparation for the surgery.  First, I have to stop taking my vitamins.  Well, I could probably continue the vitamins and just discontinue the herbal supplements.  But the GNC vitamin pack that I take each day is expensive and I'm not just going to take the vitamins and pitch the rest.  Mental note: go buy some multivitamins.  I'll make them Flintstones chewables, since that's what I'll be taking post-op.  And I have to start practicing my breathing with my "incentive spirometer."  It sounds a lot more fun than it is.  And I'm not that sure that it sounds all that fun.  Hmm..  I'm supposed to be breathing through it 10 times at a time, four times a day. 

 

Then there's the Bucket List.  Have I mentioned this?  When my surgery was originally scheduled, it occurred to me that there were places and things I wanted to eat before my surgery.  Not that I won't be able to eat those things after surgery, eventually, but I won't be able to just sit and eat to my heart's content.  So I made a list and my friends and family have unselfishly agreed to assist me in my endeavors.  We've been to Red Robin.  I was not overly impressed – it was good, but…  When we were up in Indy last weekend, we hit the Cheesecake Factory and it was great!.  Tonight, some friends and I are going to Los Bravos for a nice cheesey dinner with a few margaritas thrown in.  Then Jennifer and I are doing one last afternoon of Yen Ching/spa treatments next week.  The rest of the Bucket List items are things like I want mom's chicken and dumplings one more time, and her chicken and wild rice casserole, and dump cake. Sigh.  Ok, this was stupid, I'm sitting here fasting for my CT scan and writing about food.

 

Anyway, we are officially 12 days away, assuming the CT scan finds nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment