Thursday, March 9, 2023

'Nuff Said

I'm pretty sure we can all say that 2020 through most of 2022 was crappy.  I totally agree with Beatrix (from Breaking Cat News) in that regard.

So you can probably guess why I wasn't inclined to blog much during that time.  I mean. there was a lot of stuff going on in the world: pandemic, election, world disasters, etc., for a while there, the news was banned in our condo.  I couldn't get through a 30-minute airing of the evening news without bawling my eyes out.  So did y'all really want to read about that?  I think not.

And in addition to what everyone else was dealing with, 

  • mom spent a lot of 2020 and the first part of 2021 in the hospital for a variety of issues (falls, surgeries, shortness of breath, heart failure); 
  • I became her full-time caregiver and had to learn real quick how to make food using abso-f'ing-lutely NO sodium and still have it not taste like paste, lest I kill mom with a salt shaker! 
  • work was crazy busy and then in 2021 Berry decided to change contract software, so I was involved in a LOT of phone conferences (for a while there, 4 hours a day 5 days a week!) with the people in India who were doing the migration of data and building of the system and still had to do my "day job", so I was working 50-60 hours a week.
  • on top of all that, in late 2019, my doctor and I decided to change my crazy pills.  I'd been using Paxil for almost 20 years! but it just didn't seem to be doing anything for me anymore.  So I took a DNA test (which insurance refused to pay for) that told me which meds would be best for me versus which ones would not.  Believe it or not, there was one... 1... medication on the NO list - any guesses?  Yup, Paxil!  So we changed to something very expensive which, you guessed it, insurance would not pay for!  Fortunately, the drug company had a coupon, so I was able to get 90-day supplies of crazy pills for $15!!!   
My theory is that since I managed to survive all of the above and still change my meds - I think I should be their poster child!  I should look into that. 

Blessings, though, during that time included that God had finagled things back in 2016 to get me to working at Berry because He knew I was going to need a job where I would be able to work from home fulltime to take care of mom.  It's my understanding that the people at my previous law firm didn't miss a day in the office during the shutdown for the pandemic whereas Berry's Legal Department is officially "remote".  Another blessing, not commuting to work meant Rose saved a lot in gas, didn't go out to eat all that often, didn't need to buy much clothes - I wear sweats and pj's a lot working at home, so I was able to pay off my credit card bills and start saving more each month!

So now that life has returned to somewhat normal, I think I may be able to resume my semi-irregular writing again.  I'm sure there are plenty of things you're just dying to get updates on.  For example, there's Sophie.  Ah...my beautiful, sweet Sophie...





1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you are posting again! I always loved reading them.

    ReplyDelete