Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas 2008 - halfway there...

So as of today, I am finished with my Christmas cards. I have all my presents bought; although there are a couple that need wrapping still, but do you know how hard it is to wrap with a cat in the house?!? Today was our firm's Christmas luncheon at the Kennel Club. I thought I might not be able to go because my father had an appointment with the oncologist today, but since we were blessed with some ice and since dad isn't all that stable, physically, at least... hahahaha. Where was I? Oh, yes, it's been rescheduled for tomorrow. So I was able to go to the luncheon. I enjoy going to these things - you get to sit and talk with people who you normally don't see much. And today, the food was pretty stinkin' good! (A couple of years ago, the pecan-encrusted chicken breast was tougher than shoe leather)

So tomorrow, I'll be leaving work about 10-ish to go to the oncologist with mom and dad and hopefully get some answers as to why dad's bladder appears to have gone on permanent strike. People keep asking me what I'd like for Christmas. I hate to be sappy, but I'd like dad's cancer to disappear and for the big strong daddy of my childhood memories to come back to us. Failing that, I just pray that the oncologist has some positive answers and suggestions. Pardon me as I wipe away a couple of tears. sigh..

Hopefully, after the appointment, dad'll feel like going out to lunch. Today is mom's birthday - and it occurs to me that I'm a horrible daughter... I talked to mom on the phone today and didn't mention her birthday or sing happy birthday to her. I'll have to call her here in a couple of minutes. There's a Los Bravos really close to the doctor's office, maybe we can have some queso dip (yum) and celebrate mom's birthday. I'm packin' her birthday loot around in my bag. Since dad hasn't been going anywhere without mom since he got out of the hospital a month ago, I'm doing his shopping and wrapping. Frankly, I think I deserve a medal for not opening and watching her Mamma Mia DVD!

Friday is our support staff luncheon and Secret Santa identifying. My secret pal suggested a scarf and gloves as a gift for her. If I had a wee bit o extra time, I'd have quick like a bunny knitted her a scarf. I can do scarfs really well. But I suppose that if I were to pick up my needles and start knitting and purling, I really ought to finish the pillow I started for my parents... or the other sock to match the sock I gave my mother last Christmas. Sigh..

No comments:

Post a Comment