Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sept 19 - Talk Like a Pirate Day

Ahoy Mateys! September 19th is Talk Like a Pirate Day it is my favorite bizarre holiday (with Sneak a Zucchini on Your Neighbor’s Porch Night - August 8th coming in as a close second.) I’ve known about, yet not really observed Pirate Day for several years now, but this year it seemed like the right time to show my pirate-y side. My mateys and I decided to talk pirate-y all day at work for a short while there, we thought Pirate Day was 9-17, which is a Thursday. But we found out the actual day was a Saturday! Shiver me timbers!
While contemplating my future as a lily-livered landlubber, I found a treasure map that led the way to truly celebrating the holiday. Just follow the steps, X marks the spot …

Step 1 - Ducks
Deborah (“Deborarrr”), a saucy wench who I work with has been showcasing my rubber ducks each month at her desk here at KDDK because #1) she enjoys it and B) my desk has too many toys on it as it is, so the ducks tend to get lost in the process. (I will, however, maintain custody of the nativity ducks because I like having my nativity scene and I have a bunch of other scurvy dogs that sit in and watch the baby Jesus, including Batman, who protects Him from the Joker, a gnome, Darth Vader duels with Yoda over Him, a bobble-head penguin, and a stuffed vulture. But I digress.) When I asked her what type of ducks she wanted for September, since there’s no big holiday, she pointed out Talk Like a Pirate Day so on September 1st, pirate ducks showed up around her desk.

Step 2 – Chest o’ Booty
As I mentioned in a previous blog, I found the pirate chest/lunch box at Factory Card Outlet. The plan was to buy some chocolate dubloons to have spilling out of the chest but Deborarrr couldn’t find any when she went looking, and I never got back to Factory Card Outlet. But still the treasure chest full of candy has been quite a hit. Deborarrr makes anyone who comes for candy “arrr” for their candy or she forces them to walk the plank!

Step 3 – Inspiration
Then another matey, Kelly, told me that her sister loves Talk Like a Pirate Day and blogs about it every year. As she said this, a light bulb went on in my skull and crossbones. I needed to BLOG about Talk Like a Pirate Day! I had (at that time) 19 days to come up with my high-seas swashbucklin' adventure. But of course I’d need to be able to speak the lingo, so...
Step 4 - I found a website (http://www.talklikeapirateday.com/translate/) that translates anything into pirate-speak. I started my blog and translated it. So the blog was perfect. It only needed one more thing.

Step 5 – The Photograph
Like all truly talented photographers, I had to set the scene. Oh, I could have just posted a quick pic of the treasure chest and the ducks, but how bland.. If only I had a pirate costume.. Hmm… but wait! Do I not have an eye patch from my prior eye-goo problem? Does not a handsome young gnome of my acquaintance who generally dresses up as a pirate for Halloween have a hook? I mentioned my evil scheme to Deborarrr and then all we needed was for someone (me) to remember to bring in my birthday booty, er.. camera.
So long story short, below is photographic evidence of two hot, hip, happenin' pirates protectin' their loot. Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment