Saturday, March 20, 2010

Review - The Bounty Hunter

(Disclaimer: If you haven’t seen this movie, there may be information in this review that might be considered a “spoiler” - although I consciously try not to put major spoiler info in my reviews. Proceed with caution.)

The Bounty Hunter is Gerard Butler's most recent movie and my regular readers know that my best fiend, Jennifer and I ALWAYS go out to eat and then go see the new GB movie – it’s a tradition! So Friday night (opening day), with full tummies and tickets in hand, we were ready for the movie!

First, let me interject that his last several movies have not been my favorites.


  • The Ugly Truth – well, I don’t really care for Kathryn Hiegel, and I didn’t really like his character, although I liked him somewhat by the end of the movie, but frankly, the two characters spent so much of the movie being rotten (in general and to each other) that I didn’t care if they got together in the end or not. That’s not to say there weren’t funny moments - I did buy the DVD to place in the Gerard Butler wing of my DVD collection.

  • Next came The Gamer – and it wasn’t bad. In fact, I recently watched it for the second time (this time on DVD) and I enjoyed it more. But again, it wasn’t as good as the movies that I fell in love with him were. (Did that make sense?)

  • Law Abiding Citizen – to be honest, Jennifer and I didn’t go see this one. I bought the DVD, but haven’t watched it yet. I can’t judge. But the reviewers weren’t kind.

So back to The Bounty Hunter. I’ve seen previews for this movie, seen GB on Letterman and Regis, and I had very high hopes. And I like Jennifer Aniston. I even figure that if GB isn’t going to come sweep me off my feet and run away with me, I can be the bigger woman (after all, I AM the bigger of the two of us) and let her have him. What was my point? Oh, yes, I like her, so already this movie has more going for it than The Ugly Truth and P.S. I Love You (great book, so-so movie).

Now that I’ve rambled on sufficiently, how was the movie, you ask. It was really very good. It was funny, and touching, and not horribly predictable. We got to see GB wearing nothing but a towel!

Jennifer Aniston played Nicole, a reporter who was arrested for assaulting a police officer (don’t worry, there were very extenuating circumstances) and when the pursuit of a news story results in her missing her court hearing, her bail is revoked and GB’s character (Milo) is the former cop/current bounty hunter assigned to bring her in. As it turns out, Nicole and Milo also used to be married to each other and are now divorced. As you can see, there is plenty of room for hilarity to ensue!

By now, I’m sure everyone’s seen the clip of him finding her at the race track, but that was just one of the many funny moments in the course of his trying to catch her: he laid in wait for her at her apartment and tracked mud all over, ate Doritos and smudged Dorito fingers on her pristine white bedspread; he stuffed her in the trunk of his car; she lit his trunk on fire with a flare (who actually keeps flares in their trunk?), etc. While Milo is bringing her back to custody, bad guys make their appearance and try to kill Nicole, thus dragging Milo into her news story investigation.


Long rambling review short, The Bounty Hunger was a really good movie. It will definitely be a welcome addition to the Gerard Butler wing of my DVD collection. Two opposable thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment