Sunday, January 23, 2011

Belated 2010 Wrap-up

Ok, Heather (and all my other fans!), I'm sorry that I've been silent the past few months.

When we last left our heroine, Rose and Mom had just moved into a condo in Evansville and were praying for a buyer for the house in Wadesville. In fact, the house went on the market the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. The sign was put in the yard on Wednesday. So fast forward to the Friday after Thanksgiving. I had to work and mom went out to the house to paint a door or something. Along about 11:00 that morning, my phone rings and it's mom. She said that she was there painting and about 10, there was a knock on the door... and guess who was there!? I was thinking possibly Gerard Butler had finally come to his senses and decided to track me down, but.. she said there was a young man and his fiancee there to look at the house! OMG!

Long story short, as none of us want to live through the entire month of December at this point, that young man bought the house! The closing was on December 31st and afterwards Mom and I went to the bank to deposit the check and then we went to the Olive Garden to celebrate!

We were happy to start 2011 with one less concern on our shoulders.

Let's see, what else happened in December? Well, mom turned 70 and I felt it was time for another surprise birthday party. See, the last surprise b-day party I planned was for Dad (birthday in October) and Mom (birthday in December) in November of the year they both turned 50. Since it was several weeks either before or after their respective birthdays, that was on truly a surprise. This birthday surprise had more possibility of me blowing it since I live with mom and since she is truly my best friend, I tell her most everything. So I had to think before I just popped out with "ordered the cake today.." or "Holly emailed, Natalie won't be able to come down.." or "we ought to get our Christmas presents bought, wrapped and together, so Holly and Haley can take them back up with them in case the weather is bad and we can't go up for Christmas..." But I managed to succeed. Of course, it helped that Mom slipped and fell on the ice twice the day before her birthday and broke her fibula, so she was legitimately elsewhere mentally and not paying attention to my slips.

The party was a success with family and friends from church in attendance. All of the grandkids except Natalie (she had a final exam that day) were able to come down and Mom, either because of or in spite of the broken leg, was surprised and had a good time.

For Christmas, Mom and I trekked up north and had a lovely time with Ho and Ha's families. They had had snow that week, so we were able to have a White Christmas despite the weather here not playing along. The only thing I didn't understand was Santa putting a bag of coal, even if it was made of chocolate and rice krispies, in my stocking... :( As per my usual, the gifts I gave were received with lots of excitement, whether it was cash, gift card, or TARDIS cookie jars.

Now the holidays are over and Mom and I are snuggled up in the condo, with hot cocoa and 4 cats, watching the lake freeze. I'm only left with one question... why haven't we used the fireplace more often??

Later, peeps. I'll try to do better in the new year, Heather. I realize that you are stuck there in Mexico and your only access to Rose is via this blog, so keeping that in mind, I'll do better. Just as a preview, there are exciting things in Rose's future: trips to London, surgery(s?), and being involved in 2011's biggest viral You Tube video!! Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! You're alive and blogging. I knew you were too comfortable in the new condo, all cozy with your mom and kitties.

    Love from Mexico!
    heather

    ReplyDelete