Friday, January 28, 2011

This Entry Has No Title

I have an appointment for next week to go to Carmel, Indiana to meet with a doctor to discuss gastric bypass or lap band surgery.  It's something that I've thought about for years, but frankly, never seriously considered because I don't have the money for it and my insurance doesn't cover it.  But Mom and I talked about it and she said that she felt that she'd rather give me some of my inheritance now and have me use it for something that would allow me to enjoy life and be healthy, (and be around to help her in her dotage, I'm sure), than to hoard it until she dies and I'm too old to do anything about it.  Plus this way, she'll be around to help me recupe...

 

After many tears and talking to a family friend who had successful surgery about two years ago, I called this doctor and got an appointment set up.  There are a lot of questions.  I know there are three different types of surgery and I'm sure there are pluses and minuses to each, not the least of which is cost.  I don't know what type of recuperation periods we're talking, or even what I'll be able to eat for the rest of my life.  Since there's no insurance requiring six months of thinking about it first, I don't even know … I mean, I might even get scheduled for in a month or so.  I've spoken with Shawn, our HR peep at work about it.  Her daughter had it several years ago, and Shawn is very supportive and happy for me.  We've talked about short-term disability and all sorts of official things.  I've told Carrie and warned her that I'll be out for probably at least two weeks, maybe longer.  I have not told Steve.

 

Steve is a man.  And he's going to have questions.  Questions I don't yet have answers to.  So I figure he can wait until after my appointment next week to find out the good news.  Hopefully we'll know a time schedule by then.

 

But I'm thinking Steve is getting suspicious… I reminded him yesterday afternoon that I would be off next Thursday and Friday.  Frankly, I think I could tell him at 9am that I'm leaving at 10am to go have my head chopped off, and he'd still be surprised when I got up to leave an hour later!  Anyway, he asked "Are you having your surgery?"  Of course he meant my carpal tunnel surgery which I have told him about but which, at this time, has not yet been scheduled because that doctor wants to see what I find out in Carmel first.  But me, full of guilt for not telling Steve yet, I just stood there looking like a deer in headlights… duh…  (I know, I should be impressed that he remembers that I'm having carpal tunnel surgery!)

 

Then, today he came back from lunch and he asked what I was working on (not in a checking up on me kind of way, but more like I looked very engrossed in it) and I replied that I was updating my instructions for how to run his MOnday morning reports … because I agreed not to take another Monday off until I got them updated, because there was a Monday earlier this month that I took off because I was a craven coward and there was a wee bit of ice on the roads and someone else ran his reports using 5 year old instructions and his reports were ruined, it spoiled his whole week.  Anyway, back to today, he jokingly said, "Are you planning on taking Monday off?"  And I'm like, "well, you know I'm going to be off for a couple of weeks for… uh….. uhm… (more deer in headlights)…uh,  the trip to London, yeah, in June."  Like it's that urgent that I update these instructions for a trip that's 5 months away. 

 

My only consolation is that he's a man, and therefore not that observant to the subtleties in the actions/responses of the women in his life.  I'm pretty sure his wife would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment