Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bowl Sunday

Ok, we started the afternoon out by having lunch at Olive Garden with Alma Shufflebarger - a distant relative of Dad's. It was very enjoyable and before we knew it, we'd been there two and half hours! I wasn't sure going into the lunch because 1) I had a headache that had not even been dented by the two Exedrin I took before church (although I was able to stay awake for the sermon, which was not a blessing considering the aforementioned headache... I think a nap might have helped); B) I didn't even know this woman (but my meds have made it a lot easier to talk to strangers, so that wasn't a major concern); and lastly, because going to Olive Garden makes the odds of having nachos and other occasion-related munchies minimal.


Mom and I got home about 3pm. In time to spend a lovely winter afternoon snuggled up on the couch with my boy, reading the Sunday ads and doing the crossword puzzle, and watching the end of the Terminator. Terminator 2 came on about 4:30. I mention this only because shortly after 5, I left the living room to go to my room to watch the game and I assumed Mom would change the channel, but as of an hour later when I went in to heat up the leftover breadsticks, she was still watching it.


I am SO not a sports person. But believe it or not, I do enjoy watching the Super Bowl. In college (1988, I think), I even hosted a Super Bowl party in my dorm room. I believe the Redskins were playing someone.


I've even actually attended several football games in my life. First, in the 8th (?) grade, the band teacher forced us to attend a football game and play for the first half. I recall nothing of that game. Then in college, while at DePauw, there was nothing much to do in Greencastle on a Saturday afternoon, so my friends and I went to the games. After having the rules explained to me, I enjoyed them.


So that is it, really, post-DePauw, I've hidden my enjoyment of football and limited that to the annual watching of the Super Bowl. There's much I don't understand and frankly, just don't care about, such as which teams are playing, but I do enjoy a good game.


Of course, part of my enjoyment is the commercials. I like to have seen the commercials so I know what they're talking about tomorrow on the radio and internet.


So far my favorite commercial is the Doritos commercial with the guy apartment sitting for his friend and he lets the fish and the plant die, but brings them back to life with Doritos, then brings grandpa back to life by (I suppose) adding Doritos to his ashes! Very cute.


Either someone just used the litter box or... actually I think it was our little natural gas producer, Cleo. She just wandered in, let fly with a noxious effluvium, and then wandered out. Humpf. We don't call her Cleo Putin for nothing.


Another adorable one is for some Volkswagon car with the kid dressed up like Darth Vader, trying to use his "powers" to do a variety of things around the house.. not sure what he was trying to get the dog to do... and then the father using his keyless starter to remotely start the car and make the kid think he'd succeeded. I saw that one yesterday on the Saturday Morning show, but it was just as cute this time.


Is there another Transformers moving coming out this summer? What up with the Transformer on the screen everytime we come back from commercial?


Does anyone know if Keebler still makes those round cookies with the fudge stripes on them? I wonder if I could convince Mom to go make a cookie run...


Half time - what are the odds that Gerard Butler'll be on there and he'll have a wardrobe malfunction?


So obviously my Words With Friends playmates are not watching the game. :) What the heck is 'foveate'??


Ok, not impressed so far by the half time show... and I even like the Black-Eyed Peas. Bring back Joe and Troy. Ooh, Usher... :) Yikes, Fergie, you're flat, babes.


Ok, get the game back on so I can get up and er.. use the litter box.


Fumble!!


Ok, I have no idea what I just ate. It was in the cat candy jar... thought it was a Reese's peanut butter cup... it wasn't.


Ozzy and Bieber ... "what's a 'bieber'?" too funny!

Ok, in the first commercial we had with Eminem in it, he said that he doesn't do commercials.. Now we just saw his SECOND commercial of the evening. The world is going higgledy-piggledy!

I'm getting bored with this game and this blog. I just want Glee to come on. Me and my phone, and the boy, are going to crawl in bed and play mahjong until the game is over. Thanks for spending this Super Bowl Sunday with me.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Little Vader using the Force, but the Doritos Pug Attack has to be my favorite!
    heather p.

    P.S. ask our friend Amy about all the yellow pants!

    ReplyDelete