Monday, June 6, 2011

Long Live the King!

This past weekend, my mother and I drove up to Indy to attend my youngest nephew's high school graduation.  This nephew, Duncan, a handsome, strapping 5 foot 11 lad, will be going to USI in the fall and will have the distinct honor of living with his grandmother and his hot, hip and happening favorite aunt (moi!) for the first year.  This blog entry is not about Duncan.  Although I'm sure there will be several in the future about my new roommate, I just wanted to throw his name out there for future reference.
 
This blog, like many in the past few months, is about toilet paper, as TP issues seem to follow me.
 
Mom and I woke up early on Saturday and hit the road.  We drive up US 41 to I-70 in Terrible Haute and then on to Indy.  But that's about mid-way in the trip and even if Mom hasn't taken her water pill, at least one of us as to wee.  So we generally stop at the Riley exit on I-70.  There is a McDonald's there along with a Burger King, a Wal-Mart, and two truck stop/gas stations.  So whatever our needs, the Riley exit is a good bet.
 
So Saturday, we stop at the McDonald's.  I think I've mentioned before that I, over the past 42 years, have purchased the right to stop and "use the facilities" at any McDonalds anywhere in the world for the rest of my life.  That first year that the McD's Monopoly came out alone earned me the right well into my 30's.  Not to mention the summers when the Beanie Babies were in the Happy Meals!  My point is that I have contributed mightily to McD's corporate earnings, so I do not feel bad about visiting any given McD's and using its facilities without making further contributions to the cause.
 
We go in, get seated, so to speak, when I notice that there is no TP in my stall.  I say as much to Mom and ask her to hand me a couple of squares.  She replies that her stall is equally empty and hands me a (clean) tissue from her pocket.  God bless my Mother and her continuously running nose! 
 
I finished up and washed my paws and exited the restroom to go inform someone, anyone, of the lack of TP because I knew they'd want to do something about it.  I frequent McD's restrooms because I have come to expect a certain level of quality.  Anywho,... I got to the front counter and there was a long line, so I assumed no one behind the counter had time to listen to me.  However, I'd seen an employee obviously taking her break between the ladies room and the counter, so I back tracked and went to tell her.  I apologized for interrupting her break and told her the ladies room was out of TP.  She said, (and here I quote verbatim, as I will never forget her words), "I know.  We ran out yesterday.  You have to ask for napkins at the counter."  She then went back to playing with her phone.
 
I am not generally a confrontational person, so I use that and the fact that I was stunned into silence to explain why I just walked dumbly to the van.  As I got comfy, I started to just be horrified by what she'd told me.
 
Since then, I have come up with a list of things that the manager of that particular McD's could have done in this situation.  The list is as follows:
 
-          They could have put some napkins in the ladies room so people did not have to ask at the busy counter.  Plenty-o-accidents, if you catch my drift, could happen while waiting at that counter.
-          They could have put a kindly worded sign on the door warning the prospective users of the ladies room that they would need to get napkins at the counter.
-          They could have nabbed some TP from the men's room.  Now, I realize this assumes that the men's room has TP, but I'm not in the mood to give the benefit of the doubt here.
-          They could have run across the parking lot to the Burger King and smuggled out some TP.
-          They could have gone to the Wal-Mart, which shared the same parking lot, and purchased some TP, or even wood chips from the lawn and garden section.
 
I'm sure you're wondering, "Rose, what about your return trip from Indy?  Did the Riley Exit McD's redeem itself??"  Well, I'll tell ya.  We did not give it the opportunity.  We went to the Burger King.  And the King did not fail us.  The King had TP.  Long live the King!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment