Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Sunday, July 13th

We woke up in the Castle - it was so cool! We had a really nice room, with a closet that held a toilet, and our own bathroom, across the hall. Having left my brain at home, it took me forever to figure out how to use the shower. I swear, each shower mechanism is different! After par-boiling my body, then freezing it to sub-zero temps, I finally got it figured out and had a nice shower. I really liked the shower gel in the shower, but I don't have room in my suitcase to smuggle any home, so it'll have to be a fond memory.

Breakfast was an incredible spread. There were five us there eating: me, Holly & Tom, and the couple from Canada who were staying in the other room. He was a big Colts fan so he and Tom hit it off real quickly! There was so much food on this tiny table, and I swear, the hostess kept bringing more out! The owners were a couple from the Czechoslovakia area and he said that when they saw the view from the battlements, he knew he was moving to Scotland! I can see why, the view was very nice - it was of the River Clyde. After breakfast, we all traipsed upstairs for the view and pictures!

We also got to hear about the ghost of the castle. If I recall correctly, she lived in the castle years ago and she was just mean and nasty and killed the townspeople for sport... and either she was tried and sentenced to starve in the castle OR her husband came home from wherever, found out what she'd been up to, and killed her. Either way, she didn't wake us up. If she attempted, she was destined for disappointment.

Unfortunately, it was time for us to leave the castle. It was a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live in a castle. Too many steps, for one, and the cable reception wasn't all that! We got a taxi to the train station and rode back to Glasgow. It was about noon when we arrived, we found our bed and breakfast and, even though it was too early to check-in, left our luggage there so we could catch a bus to see some sights. As luck would have it, the hop on/off bus stopped just around the corner from the B&B. We rode around the city, the entire tour taking almost two hours, and made a mental note of the highlights we wanted to hit. The city of Glasgow is preparing for thew Commonwealth Games - which is like the PanAm Games, only for just the 60-ish countries in the British Commonwealth, and it is every four years - so some of the areas of the tour were blocked off from us. I'm not sure they were places we were desperate to see, but they might have been nice to see.

But before we could hit any of them, we had to wee, so we hopped off at this ginormous museum, the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. While we were there, we looked around a bit. It was a very nice and we could have spent a lot longer there! Before we left, though, we did hit the gift shop where I found the most adorable Scottish rubber ducky which, as the only way you can see my pics at the moment are on Facebook, you may have already seen. He's too cute!

After the Museum, we got back on a bus and made our way to the cathedral and necropolis (cemetery). Tom wanted to hit a tour of the Tennant brewery which was conveniently located at the very next bus stop, so Holly and I hit the cathedral while Tom headed down to his tour. The cathedral was beautiful and we took pics. Then we trotted over to the cemetery and took pics. But it was huge and wound its way up this hill that we didn't have time (or in my feet's case, the interest) to climb, so we headed down the hill to search for Tom. Turns out his brewery tour doesn't operate on Sunday, but he found a micro-brewery where he could hang for a while.

We hopped on the bus and started around the city again, until we could alight at a stop near our B&B. We had just enough time to catch some dinner before going back and officially moving into our room in time for the World Cup game. I took a shower, checked my email and went to sleep. The last thing I recall being the impression that someone scored.

No comments:

Post a Comment