Tuesday, June 23, 2015

It's a Jurassic World After All...

(Disclaimer: If you haven't seen this movie, there may be information in this review that might be considered a "spoiler" - although I consciously try not to put major spoiler info in my reviews. Please proceed with caution.)

I did not intend to go see Jurassic World this weekend.  In fact, I sort of planned on going to see Inside Out.  During the course of the weekend, however, circumstances, the need for a nap, and an invitation that included a free ticket changed all those plans.
 
Sunday, after church and lunch at Wendy’s, I was going to go to Kohl’s in an attempt to find what my mother would call “more attractive clothes.”  Plus I had a 30% off coupon, so bonus!  The only thing that could have made it better would have been if they were giving out Kohl’s bucks!  (But there was no Kohl’s ad in our Sunday paper, so I didn’t know.)
 
Anyway, it was hot outside and I had just changed into cooler, more comfy shopping clothes when my phone rang.  It was my friend Donna who, I’m VERY happy to say has recently moved back to the Tri-State area from living like one block from the beach in the Charleston SC area.  Now the part of me that firmly believes I was switched at birth from the seaside dwelling parents who were supposed to get me to the land-lubbers who actually raised me has a problem understanding why she’d move away from the beach.  But the part of me that when she moved away from home only moved 3 MILES AWAY FROM HOME totally understands it.  Either way, I’m totally happy to have her back. 
 
Back to the story, Donna was calling at 1:30 (from Boonville) wanting to know if I’d like to go see Jurassic World with her… she had free tickets, and the movie starts at 2 at AMC.  I’m like, “Sure!”  No problem for me, I could walk to the theater and still get there in plenty of time.  Not that I’m that stupid – it was hot out there!  The issue was that it really takes more than a half hour to get to the Westside of Evansville from Boonville, but Donna got there exactly at 2!  I’ll assume that the Lord was her co-pilot because I’m pretty sure I would have gotten stopped by the po-po, but….
 
The movie. 
I’ve seen the original, Jurassic Park.  But it was probably 20 years ago.  I know I’ve seen parts of it multiple times over the years on TV, but while I remembered it, I’m thinking it would have been good to view it again before watching.  I remember Sam Neill being all hunky and being happy when the bad guys got eaten.  But other than general plot points, I couldn’t remember details.
 
First, let me say that I enjoyed this movie a lot!  It was action-packed, funny, scary, it even made me tear up at one point although at the moment I can’t quite remember what the reason was… hmm..   So anything I proceed to say are just observations, and in no way affected my enjoyment of the movie as a whole.
 
First, product placement.  I don’t consider myself very observant.  But the product placement was very, uh… direct, let’s say.  I can clearly say that Mercedes Benz, Coca-Cola, Starbucks, Margaritaville, and Pandora jewelry all sponsored this movie.  Unfortunately for at least the last three on that list, their stores within the park were decimated.  But not before we got a clear look at their logos.   And every vehicle that was driven around the park?  You guessed it, Mercedes.  Product placement doesn’t really bother me.  In fact, I’m usually excited that I catch it.  I suppose the fact that I noticed it so clearly in this movie speaks volumes. 

Humorously, there’s one part in the movie where the main female character is working with Verizon Wireless to sponsor the new dinosaur attraction and another character jokingly asks “Why not just call it the “Verizon Wireless (something, Rose doesn’t do dinosaur names)-adon?”  and “What’s next?  The ‘Pepsi-asaurus’?”  Cleverly skewering the characters within the movie for doing what the movie was doing as a whole.
 
B:  predictability.  Again, I don’t consider it to have been a bad thing, and maybe it’s just that I’ve seen a lot of movies like this, but I found it amusingly predictable.  At one point, our hero, played by Chris Pratt (more on him later), and some other man entered the containment area for THE main dinosaur… I really ought to know what it was.  Hold on, let me Google it.  It’s an Indominus Rex.  Anyway, the two men enter the containment area and I leaned over to Donna and said, “that guy might as well be wearing a red shirt.”  Just a minute later, yup, he was toast.  I can’t detail the other items because doing so would definitely qualify as spoilers.  Just let me say that there were several instances of “Uh oh, he’s gonna die” or “He sounds sneaky… I just bet he’s a bad guy” and “oh Lord, I can see a bunch of dinosaurs making short shrift out of that!”  Actually, I think it would have been fun if they’d dressed some of those miscellaneous characters in red uniforms. 
 
Lastly, PG-13!?  Mid-way through the movie, I leaned over and asked Donna if the first movie was this graphically violent.  She said yes.  I just can’t remember.   There were just a lot of violence and dinosaurs jumping out at us.  Watching it in 3D may not have helped.  I really have to remember that I prefer 2D movies.  And don’t even ask me about what happened at the petting zoo!  I had to close my eyes several times during the movie.  Yikes!  There’s a difference between watching a movie in the safety of your well lit living room on a small screen and watching in the dark (in 3D… I’m thinking that really made the difference) on a big screen.
 
My final observation regarding this movie is that I have whole-heartedly jumped on the Chris Pratt bandwagon.  I never watched Parks and Recreation, so I’d never heard of him before Guardians of the Galaxy.  And I really didn’t want to go see Guardians of the Galaxy.  But I did and I really enjoyed it.  I’ve even seen it a couple more times now that it’s showing on Starz.  But still, in Guardians, he was just one of this merry band of weirdos.  After seeing Jurassic World, I’ve totally drunk the Kool-Aid and I’m a fan!  I’ll go see any movie (assuming it’s in my preferred genres) he’s in!
 
 
So my final verdict regarding this movie is...
 

As I said earlier, I enjoyed this movie a lot!  It was action-packed, funny, scary, it even made me tear up at one point.  And it even has a hot/cute hero.  It was like the people who made it read my mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment