Monday, November 17, 2008

Alas, poor Big Red! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite comfort, of most excellent chocolate.

My apologies to Shakespeare for the title, but Friday, there was a loss in my life. Someone who, for the last year or so, had played an important role. He was a gift. Two friends went “antique-ing” (I’m pretty sure I never thought that I’d be saying those words) and saw him. They thought of me and had to get him for me.

He was just a ceramic red M&M candy jar… or maybe a cookie jar… I don’t know. But I brought him to the office with me and ever since, he’d sat on the ledge of my desk and contained comfort in the form of multi-colored, candy-coated chocolate. No matter the season, whether it was Easter pastels, patriotic Red, White and Blue, or Halloweenie colors, he was always prepared to help us get through the rough times. I know he was looking forward to Christmas, as the red and green M&M’s were already in the drawer from which he got his supply of chocolatey goodness.

Do you want the gorey details?? OK! So things have been very busy at work, and my usually chaotic desk was even more so. Steve (Boss #1) started cleaning a couple of files out of his office and began piling files and binders up on my ledge. When the pile got too high, gravity took over and a binder slid downwards, forcing the Thanksgiving rubber duckies and the pen container over and Big Red down, down, down. I find it ironic that the Law (of Gravity) killed him IN a Law Firm. But then I’ve been really busy and probably just need a good night’s rest. I’m sorry to say that despite my having my camera in my purse, I failed to get a picture of the accident scene. We were too busy trying to resuscitate him.

Cards and mementos of remembrance can be sent to me, his only surviving family member.
A friend sent me a card (about …arrgh.. 20 years ago) and I’ve attached it below because although it deals with chocolate chips, instead of M&M’s, the sentiment is similar.

Big Red - 200? - 2008 - Rest in pieces, Big Fella.

No comments:

Post a Comment