Sunday, August 30, 2009

New Zoo Review or How I Revisited My Youth in 8 Hours

My Aunt Chris came up with her grandson Jaden Saturday to see the Zoo and the Children's Museum and she invited me to go with. I will be honest here (and if you're reading this, Chris, I'm sorry), I was NOT enthused with the idea because I'm not keen on children. Well, most children. There are the odd few who I can tolerate. Chris promised that Jaden was well-behaved. And I had not been to the Zoo since Brynn was about a year or so and we took the neices/nephew (as there was only one at the time) to Easter at the zoo. And I have this adorable pic of the kids attacking the Easter Bunny. My point is that it's been a while since I've been there, and they just opened this new Amazonia exhibit of the rainforest. And I've been interested in going. And then, despite the fact that it is in the building NEXT DOOR to my office, I've never been to the Children's Museum (CMOE). The building used to be the Central Library and I was there all the time. Maybe it's a subconscious boycott for moving my library, but I've also wanted to check it out. So I agreed to go with Chris and Jaden. And I will say that #1) Jaden is a very well-behaved kid; B) I did have a very good day; and finally, I looked adorable with my face painted. But I digress.

The weather Saturday was beautiful. The sun was shining and it was in the low 80's. In AUGUST! First things first, we hit the gift shop! Well, ostensibly, we went to get Jaden an hat and sunscreen as his mom had not packed any. I, however, was looking at the gift shop, since shopping is my avocation. But then, we were off like a herd of turtles to the Amazon! The Amazonia exhibit was nice, but small. I was very impressed with these pretty birds - Scarlett Ibises, I think - and they just roamed all over the rhino's rhoom. We saw the baby zebra, although we weren't sure which one it was. And several monkeys and big cats and a bunch of ducks/geese. The zoo had been a success although I don't know if it's just because I'm looking through 41 year old eyes or because it's been 17 or so years since I've been there, but I seem to recall there being more animals in the zoo. Of course I also recall there being a noxious effluvium all over the place and I only smelled that once Saturday!

Now what? Well, it was lunch time and my footies wanted a break, and my throat wanted some iced tea, so I suggested we go to Turoni's for lunch as pizza was one of the 4 things that Jaden will eat. (Don't ask.) We filled our tums and rested our footies and then we were off to the Children's Museum.

As I previously said, the building used to be the Central Library of the Evansville Vanderburgh County public library system, but it opened up when they built a new building and moved. The building is a big ol' art deco style behemoth. We started out on the second floor in the Live Big exhibit. This is the room that I can see into from the copy room at work and I've often wondered what this odd reddish thing hanging from the ceiling that looks like a bunch of puffed up plastic bags. In case you want to know, it's supposed to be a brain. And as you walk into the room there's a big nose shaped thing in the floor. I'm not sure what the point is, but we got Jaden to crawl in it and hang out one of the nostrils to look like a blond booger! In another room, they had a bunch of art-y type activities for the kids. That's where Jaden and I painted our faces! Aren't I adorable?

After the obligatory visit to the gift shop, where I purchased a dragon keychain for my dragon collection, and a few other areas, we left to go out to Wadesville for dinner. Jaden and I played with Winifred while Mom and Chris chatted. Then Rose, being pooped, left to go home. Speaking of poop, in the restroom at the Children's Museum, they had this sign entitled "Feces Facts" and I couldn't resist getting a picture. (I hope you can read it.) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You know someday I will have to come up and bring the little wildcat! It would only be fair since you were there the day that the wildcat's dad, Evan, got bonked on the noggin by that goose at the zoo while we stood and laughed! And you will have to help me give her a tour. And if we give her a tour of the museum... there will be a lot of balls flying!! and they better hide those tools!
    I wish we had a picture of our faces when we saw that plastic python!

    ReplyDelete