Sunday, August 2, 2009

Review - Guys and Dolls

Mom and I went to go see the New Harmony Theatre's production of "Guys and Dolls" on Friday. Guys and Dolls is one of my favorite musicals. I think it's because I have a minor crush on Marlon Brando, or at least him as Sky Masterson. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else.

I've never seen Guys and Dolls live - only watched the movie, but this was very good. The New Harmony Theatre performed in Murphy Auditorium which is a cozy little place. The performances were all very good, however, the woman who played Adelaide stole the show in my book. She was funny, and she belted out her tunes just as good as the woman in the movie did! :)

The Evansville Courier also reviewed the production here: http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/aug/02/guys-and-dolls-production-top-notch/

Now two things about the show. #1) I went to Borders the next morning to buy the DVD of the movie because I only had the VHS version, and I had a coupon good for $5 off any DVD, and $5 in Border bucks, and I had a gift card from Steve (boss #1) from my birthday, so I got it for free. But the guy who rang me up asked if I'd been to see the show in New Harmony and I said, yes, last night!! He asked if I'd seen him? I looked at him consideringly... hmm... He said that it was a trick question because he was in the orchestra and they were hidden behind the scenery on stage. Well, I hadn't realized there was an actual orchestra. I assumed the music was canned - it sounded good enough to be recorded.

#2) in the booklet, there was an ad that said that if you took your ticket stub to the Firefly Grille on the east side of Evansville, you would get a complimentary dessert. So Sunday after church, mom and I went with two of the ladies that we saw the show with for Sunday brunch. I had never been there before, but it was very good. I got the ______ and Eggs. You could fill the _____ in with your choice of a variety of items. I chose the fried green tomatoes. Everything was delicious, but the fried green tomatoes were not as good as mom's. They were dipped in batter and the tomatoes inside were wafer thin.

The complimentary dessert that I chose was the "Something Very Chocolatey" - which was basically chocolate mousse. YUM! Mom got "Glazed Donut Bread Pudding" and it was YUMMERS! Amy got Red Velvet Cake and her mom, Mary Lou got Southern Tiramisu. We all shared bites and they were all delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment