Friday, May 7, 2010

Blackie... part two

So I'm happy to say that we have an update on Mange, er.. Harry, er… Blackie! 

 

Yesterday when I got home, mom advised me that she had a cunning plan.  This morning, when it came time to feed the boys outdoor, she'd put the food inside the kitty carrier and, assuming all went well, when Blackie slunk in to get some Meow Mix, we'd hop on him and shut him inside!  It was a marvelous, if rather simple, plan.  I did not have high hopes.  Nevertheless, we put the carrier outside before going to bed last night so they could get used to its presence.

 

This morning, mom put the food inside the carrier and we lurked outside around it.  I'm thinking that this cat is smart enough to know that something was afoot, but enticing aroma of chicken, turkey, salmon & ocean fish flavors kept luring him back only to find that we kept pushing the food bowl farther and farther inside the carrier.

 

Finally, the time came and we sprung into action!  Mom shoved his boney butt all the way into the carrier and I slammed and held the door shut while mom zipped it shut.  Then I ran the carrier to the van while mom nabbed her keys and purse.  She was off like a flash! 

 

Observations from this experience: 

1) I kept thinking the problem is that Blackie doesn't trust us, but Mom pointed out that during this whole week-long ordeal, he never ran off or even too far away.  And he kept going INSIDE THE CAGE!  So I've decided that he does trust us AND was just enjoying the attention.  Although he may not enjoy the attention the vet gives him, especially if (as I suggested) mom has the vet keep him long enough to fix him. 

2) You may not believe in miracles, but then you've obviously never tried to get a semi-ferral, 10-lb (approximately) cat wielding paper shredder sharp claws into a cat carrier against his will.  We were praying the entire time this morning and then I was thanking God as I ran Blackie to the van.  God loves even mangy, skin and bones, snotty/snorty critters and obviously wants this one to get better.

 

When I hear from mom, assuming Blackie didn't bust out of the carrier and hijack the van on the way to Fort Branch, I'll post the final part of Blackie's saga.


No comments:

Post a Comment