Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Election Day - Small Town Style

 So I voted in the Indiana primary this morning.  Since I moved back in with Mom, I again vote at the firehouse in Wadesville.  I haven't voted there for about 15 years, ever since I moved to Blairsville back in 1995.  That being said, I walk into the firehouse and I'm immediately hit with "Well, Rosemary! Long time no see!" and "How's your mother doing?" and "We're glad you moved back home."  The entire time, I'm standing there thinking, "Who the heck are you people!?"  I always find it scary when total strangers seem to know about my life... but such is life in a small town.
 
When I originally registered to vote, I didn't sign up as either Republican or Democrat, so I get to choose which ballot to vote on in the primary.  Frankly, it's a Democrat county, so I generally choose the Democrat ballot because otherwise there's not many contested elections on the Republican side.  But this time, there's actually a contest for US Senator on the Republican side, and mom really wanted me to vote for John Hostettler, so, what the heck!
 
Next, I had to wait in line.  Ok, there was one person in front of me, and before I could put my driver's license away, he was at a booth.  But still, this is Grand Central Station for Wadesville!
 
So I get to the booth and there's a blue hair standing there ready to give me instructions on how to use the electronic touch screen ballot.  Really?  It's a touch screen.  When I told her I'd used them before in Vanderburgh County, she was very impressed.
 
The ballot... as expected, there were 7 or 8 people listed for US Senator and like 5 people I've never heard of running for the US Representative seat that is being vacated to run for Senator on the Democrat ballot.  That's where the fun ended.  There were at least 6 races with no one running at all and another 3-5 with only one person running.  Oh, and don't forget the one where we were to vote for 11 people... but only 5 were running.... one of whom I know.  Needless to say, I voted for them all but the one I know... (don't ask).
 
All in all, another successful exercise of my civic duty.  Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be an American and thank God that of all the places I could have been born, I was born here.  And I've never missed voting in an election.. well, maybe there was a particularly uneventful primary about 20 years ago, but I always go vote.  However, much like the way I picked my choices for that NCAA pool that I won several years ago, there's no real rhyme/reason or method to my madness.
 
Then I get to work and am reminded that today is the first time that Angelli (a newly oathed American citizen) gets to vote in an election and she's so happy and proud. 
 
I can't help but wonder if today's primary will be discussed on either the Daily Show or the Colbert Report... then I laugh so hard I almost pee in my pants!

No comments:

Post a Comment