Friday, July 9, 2010

Since We’ve No Place to Go, Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

It is July, and we've been having a heat wave.  It is hot and incredibly humid outside, but inside our office, it is a winter wonderland.  Sometimes our AC isn't working all that great, but today, it's pumping out the cold air by the butt-load.  You can look down the row, as we sit at our desks, and see that we all have sweaters or jackets on.  And I'm listening to Christmas music.  I can't explain that one, really, other than when I opened iTunes this morning, I accidentally clicked on my Christmas playlist and decided to stay with it.

 

This has been a very rough week at work.  One of the partners at the firm up and resigned over the holiday weekend, and the remaining partners have been scurrying around dealing with the fallout.  Meanwhile, the support staff sits quietly at their desks and watches one closed door meeting after another going on and wonders how, if at all, it's going to affect ME… because that's truly what we're concerned about – is this going to affect me?  Plus, it would appear that we are, very hush-hush, secretly hiring some attorney away from another firm in town, and that has been adding to the secret meetings and therefore adding to the tension around the place.

 

I've been battling a cold, and am only barely alive at the moment due to CVS's version of Day-Quil.  I think I'm getting addicted to the drug merry-go-round – Day-Quil in the day to be"high" and Night-Quil (?) at night to stay "down."  Someone tell me, is that one of the warning signs??

 

Jennifer has been on vacation all week, so I've been dining off the mystery drawer in my desk and after eating the final can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup yesterday, I'm down to that one weird Healthy Choice meal that I've tried my best not to eat since the last time I filled the mystery drawer up, and today, the final day of the week from hell, I just couldn't face it.  So I decided to wonder across the street for some pizza.

 

Unfortunately, I've sat here so cool and cozy in my warm and comfy sweater, that I've forgotten that it is July out there.  As I opened the door to the outside, wearing my sweater, I'm immediately reminded and take off the sweater before it becomes a SWEATer.  I scurry across the street lest the blinding sun burn my unshaded retinas and enter the shady, cool, garlic fest that is Milano's.  My original aim was pizza, but as the aroma hits me, I head for the Carbonara Rigatoni.  Since moving in with Mom, I have discovered that she doesn't believe that pasta is one of the four major food groups.  I don't think we've had macaroni in over a week, and the semolina levels in my blood are plummeting.  I weakly wobble over to the counter and ordere some to go.

 

I nabbed my ill-gotten booty (or ill-booten gotty) and blindly ran back across the street to the coolness of our office.  I sighed with comfort upon reentering the lobby downstairs.  I say a quick prayer of thanks and strongly suggest to the Good Lord, that Willis Haviland Carrier, the inventor of modern day air conditioning (yes, I Googled it), deserves an especially comfy cloud in heaven.

 

Now, lunchtime is about over, and I have eaten my cholesterol-filled take out order of carbs.  My sweater is back on and my core temperature is back to a "cool" level.  I think I'll go back to my desk and listen to some more Christmas carols.  Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow…


No comments:

Post a Comment