Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Charleston - Part Deux

Day Two - 9/21/08:
After a good night's sleep, I woke up without having one of my furry feline friends pawing at my face and meowing at me. It was nice, and yet I missed them. But I was at the beach, so I decided to make the best of it! HA!

Donna told me about a restaurant that a friend had recommended to her and now she goes there about once a week. She said while it looked like a dive, it had incredible food. I asked, "when can we go?" So we were off and heading to Momma Brown's BBQ. The fried chicken was possibly the best I've ever had, and the bread pudding. Oh, man. If I'd brought a purse, I'd have stuffed a couple of pieces in it to smuggle it out. It was EXCELLENT! I did have some of the BBQ, it was a vinegar based bbq, and I can't say it would be my fave. That would have been the chicken. Oh, and the mac and cheese! Yummers!

After lunch, we hit Wal-mart. For what, I can't recall. But then we headed to the beach. I took a wonderful jaunt down the beach, took the ubiquitous photo of my toes in the sand and water (yes those stark white legs are mine), and had Charleston Epiphany #1. See, I've always known that I'm a beach person. And I'm thinking how is it that I, a true beach person, could have been born in Indiana. Then it hit me, DUH! I wasn't born in Indiana. I was born in Washington DC, just a short jaunt from... get this... a beach! So, I'm thinking that my parents truly screwed up my beach-related destiny by deciding to move me, at the tender age of three, to the Mid-West, hours from a beach. Whew... epiphanies are exhausting, so I meandered back to where Donna was sitting and laid down on my towel for a short snooze.

Post-snooze, Donna and I were talking and the subject turned to tattoos. I mentioned that I'd wanted to get a tattoo for quite some time, but I was chicken to go do it by myself beings as tattoo places aren't usually the nicest place for a girl to go alone. So we chatted about what I'd want and where, we went to her office and used the computer to research some designs. I decided what I wanted, and I was thinking about getting it on my wrist, so it would look like a bracelet from far off. We talked about maybe me going and doing it while in Charleston. After our research session and a car tour of the place where Donna works, we contemplated dinner. I had thoughts of a burger, so Donna suggested Five Guys. It was a A+ cheeseburger!

After a burger, fries, and sweet tea, we headed to Blockbuster to rent a movie. Of course, the problem here is that Donna likes movies that have a redeeming quality about them, you know? And I'm rather shallow in my movie choices, you know, Office Space, Zoolander, Batman, or anything with the Rock in it. But we ended up agreeing on In Bruges. We'd both seen the previews and thought it showed potential. It was great. First, Colin Farrell, need I say more, ladies? It was funny, it had redeeming qualities, though I have to say I would not have ended it quite the way it did, but then it really ended the only way it could. Oh, and we watched the special features. One of which was called "F***ing Bruges" - we didn't know what to expect, but what it was was a montage of every "F-word" in the movie. We watched it once, laughing the entire time, and then we watched it again, this time counting them. For those who are interested, there were 97!

After the movie, I hit the pillow. I tried to go to sleep, but I had a difficult time unwinding, I blame the very good, but strong tea from dinner that I'd taken home in a to-go cup and drank all thru the movie. So while I'm laying there in the dark, with my eye-patch on... (long story, I'll cover that later in a non-vacation-related blog entry).. I had Charleston Epiphany #2... see, I still knew I wanted the tattoo, and I knew what I wanted, but I just wasn't sure about the where. My epiphany was that I now knew where it needed to go. Finally, I fell asleep. zzzzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment