Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Charleston - Take 3

Day Three - 9/22/08:
After eating the last of Donna's birthday cake for breakfast, the plan for the day was to do the tourist thing. So wipe the cake crumbs off, tied up our comfy walking shoes and were off!

A girl I work with, Kelly, had recommended going to Magnolia Plantation just outside of Charleston. We had a coupon and we could get a AAA discount, we were game. Of course we forgot to use the coupon and ask for the discount, but neither of us was really surprised. We chose not to tour the house. Once you've seen one old house, they're all the same. The gardens were beautiful. They weren't the type of gardens I'd seen before where everything was plotted out with paths between things. No, these gardens were planted amongst the trees and bushes, you'd walk along a path thru the trees, and then you'd come to an area with some statues, plants, a bench, and maybe a small pond. The breeze blowing thru the trees was beautiful and I could just see myself (because I KNOW I was born in the wrong era) as a genteel southern lady (because I'd have been rich, not poor!) walking thru the gardens and sitting on a bench reading a book as the peacocks wobble by. It was lovely. Sigh.

Of course we hit the gift shop. Because one of my family's many mottos is "Never skip a gift shop." And I'm glad we did. This was the nicest gift shop. In fact I found the perfect thing to get for my friend Jennifer who's mother passed away this past week. Several years ago, when my mother's mother died, my father's sister sent a beautiful angel statue to the funeral. It stands on a shelf in mom's living room, and when I see it, I think of both Grandma and Aunt Mary (who has since passed away), so I thought it would be nice to get something similar for Jennifer - not so she'll think of me necessarily, but ... I don't know.. she's not a plant person, and flowers don't stay for very long, so.. Anyway, the great thing is that the shop ships so I didn't have to worry about how to get it in my luggage for the flight home!

After gift shopping it, we headed back to the car and back to downtown Charleston for more sightseeing. Of course, before taking a walking tour of downtown, we were hungry. So we went to Bubba Gump's Shrimp Company. I'd never been. And honestly, I've never seen Forrest Gump all the way thru. I've seen bits and pieces, but not the whole thing. Still the food was delicious and the atmosphere was fun.

We spent the rest of the afternoon walking up and down the streets of downtown Charleston. Saw some beautiful churches, visited some gorgeous graveyards, and just enjoyed the day.

Before going back to Donna's, we went to Blu Gorilla and made inquiries about my getting my tattoo. I didn't know how much it would be or how long it would take. Long story short, it didn't take very long, it didn't hurt like I thought it would (but then after 10years of electrolosis, I guess I'm immune to the pain of needles), and I'm very happy!!
After finishing at the Blu Gorilla, we went to Barnes and Noble for a little shopping therapy and then went back to Donna's to review our purchases. Tomorrow, I would be returning back to Indiana and real life. Big Blue and I hit the pillow and slept soundly.

No comments:

Post a Comment