Thursday, September 25, 2008

What's green and skates on ice?

Ok, so you want the story about the eye patch. Arrgh!

Starting about 9 months ago, I began getting goo in my eye at night, more than your usual nightly eye-goo, and just the left eye. I saw my eye doctor, and he wasn't concerned enough to mention it. I saw my regular doctor and asked her, she said I had conjunctivitis and gave me eye drops.

As the months go by, the goo gets worse, and now it's in both eyes. Occasionally, I wake up with my eye matted together by dried goo.

So I decided to go see a real eye doctor... an opthamologist? Mom has one that she goes to regularly, so I made an appointment.

Long story short (too late! :) I have chronically irritated eyelids, which produce the goo. I had 2 weeks of steroidal ointment to put in - it made it feel and look like I had Vaseline in my eyes - and a $100 bottle (2.5 oz) of eye drops. My second appointment with the opth... he suggested a test - that I wear an eye patch one eye each night when i go to bed. I chose the left eye, as I'm fonder of my right, and now I'm AARGH'ing and AHOY MATEY'ing all over the place each night as I go to bed!

Interestingly enough, while I was in Charleston, no or extremely reduced eye goo in first the eye patched eye and then both eyes. I'm sort of scared that it's going to turn out that I'm allergic to my babies. Never fear, I will suffer copious amounts of eye goo for my babies... as long as they lay off Big Blue!!

So, in retrospect, the story isn't as exciting as I'd hoped. Hmmm..

Finally, in answer to the riddle: What's green and skates on ice? Well, the answer is Peggy Phlegm. hahahaha My sister wrote that joke, along with a drawing of Peggy Phlegm in a letter that she wrote home to us when she was away at college (DePauw University, Class of '83), and it's always struck me as funny. And since it's more appropriate and less offensive, religiously speaking, than my other favorite joke, I felt compelled to share it with you.

2 comments:

  1. Sniff, I always feel so deeply honored to be quoted in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I'm glad your apartment and the kiddies are all okay!

    ReplyDelete