Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Winifred Goes to the Vet

In our last episode, I mentioned that Winifred was being fixed Friday. Well it turns out that the Humane Society would not fix her because she was 1) under weight – cats have to be 3lbs, and Wini was 2.7lbs; B) had some sort of respiratory problem; and finally, had some ear problem. So the ‘Rents went and picked her back up, all disappointed, and let her back outside. When I heard of this, I just shook my head. I can only chalk it up to the stress of dad’s chemo that’s making these people such wafflers. So I took over and told mom I’d come out the next morning and take Wini to the vet so we can see what’s up with the respiratory and ear problems, so Wini can get healthy and gain enough weight so she can be fixed.

That night, after work, I went to Target and got some Kitten Chow, a cute little food bowl and a water bowl, some more litter, and Kitty’s First Toy – a baby blue bunny with a rattle in it on a bungee string. At, urp, 6:30 Saturday morning, I was in Wadesville, picking up mom and Wini and heading out to the vets office. Why so early? Well, the vet we go to doesn’t take appointments, so you get your name on a list, first come first serve, and wait. It wasn’t too bad, we probably didn’t have to wait more than an hour.

First, Winifred had a fever, fleas, and a tapeworm. So she was treated for the worm, the fleas, and given antibiotics for the respiratory problems and fever. In retrospect, the doctor looked at, but didn’t mention the ears, so I guess we should ask him about that next time. Anyway, due to the fever, she couldn’t get her rabies and other vaccinations, so mom’ll take her back in two weeks. She was a very good kitty, though. Sitting quietly in the carrier in a waiting room full of dogs, including one behemoth Great Dane whose head, when standing normally, came up to my boobs!

We got home and put out the kitten chow, opened the toy and let Wini roam her new surroundings. When I left Saturday afternoon, Dad and Winifred were both sound asleep on the couch. I think it’ll be good for dad and mom to have her there, it having been proven that indoor pets can have a therapeutic effect on patients.

Now, a couple of days into life with a cat for my parents, I think everyone’s settling in well. According to dad, Winifred is just an enthusiastic little goob running up and down the hall and playing with her toy. And then she naps on the couch with dad. I’m guessing the antibiotics have helped her feel better, along with the death of the worm and fleas. My guess is the little fuzzball will have plumped up to well over 3lbs by her return engagement next week to the vet.

1 comment: