Friday, April 18, 2008

If the House is a Rockin'...

Ok, so about 4:30 am (CDT) this morning we had an earthquake (5.2 on the Richter). Well, the center was somewhere in Southern Illinois, about 66 miles from Evansville, but it sure felt like it was right here!

It woke me up and in the fog that is my brain at that time of the morning, it sounded like the cats were playing/fighting on the 6-foot kitty condo that is right beside my bed. I rolled over to yell at them to quit it, and I realized they were not ON the condo. In fact they were nowhere to be found. So the infamous sixth sense that animals have about these things obviously made them run for the hills. Now, if only I can convey to them the importance of warning ME before disappearing, then I'll be fine.

Anyway, after the fact that they weren't the cause of the noise percolated thru my brain, I realized that my bed was shaking and the closet doors were rattling. I decided it must be an earthquake. About that time it stopped, I rolled back over and went back to sleep. :) My last lucid thought before going back to sleep was that at least we'd have something to discuss at work today. I'm very brave at that time in the morning, obviously, nothing comes between me and my sleep.

So here I am, at work, and as predicted, we're talking about it, well that and sundry other stuff, when along comes ANOTHER quake! At least this one was much lower strength (4.5 according to the USGS), but its center was 6 miles from where the earlier one was. My bravery is gone, now. I'm sitting here and my heart is still racing over it. I'm not sure how easy it will be to make my mind go back to work-related things...

No comments:

Post a Comment