Monday, April 21, 2008

I'm with the Band

So Saturday, I got up early, fed the livestock and went on a road trip! I headed up to the Indy area. My brother-in-law's band, Right on Red, had a gig at the American Legion in Fishers, and my sisters and I were going to go be groupies for the evening. I'd gone up one weekend in October for my nephew's football game and we had a really good evening out with the band, talking, singing along. I've felt closer to my sisters ever since, so when Holly-butt called last week to suggest we have a redo, my only concern was the home-improvement loan I'd have to take out to pay for the gas! (BTW, I was pleased to find gas for $3.39 in Sullivan, IN on both the way up and the way back down.)

Anywho, I had a very nice drive up and got to Holly's house in Fishers about 1:30 pm. Haley-butt got there, we had dinner and set out for our evening. Things were a little slow at first. In fact, when the band started, we three hot, hip, happen' babes (and my nephew) were the only people in the audience. But a feisty crowd soon manifested itself.

After entertaining the bartender by ordering an amaretto and DIET Coke - under the theory that it tastes the same and why go for those extra regular Coke calories, am I right? where was I?

So the band was great - they're a cover band, playing a lot of everything from Elvis to Big & Rich, from the Eagles to Garth Brooks. My brother-in-law, Tom, has this thing where he changes hats frequently during the show. For Christmas last year, I found this hamburger, well.. I think it's a cheeseburger, hat. So I was very excited when he wore that hat. Although I think he needs a more hamburger-related song to wear it for. I suggested Cheeseburger in Paradise, but got a big "NO." I'm not sure why.
So after almost 4 hours of imbibing, talking over the band, and singing with the band, all in a smoky American Legion, my throat was raw. But it was worth it. A good time was had by all. And man, my nephew go to spend his entire Saturday night with FOUR hot, hip, happen' babes! (His sister showed up when she got off work.) I told him that he could boast about it at school on Monday... he didn't HAVE to tell his friends that the babes were his mother, 2 aunts and sister! :)

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to tell about how the bartender thought I was a total lush after Holly went in to get a Long Island Iced Tea about five minutes after I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true. I went into the bar with Haley and then about five minutes later Holly went in and ordered the same drink as Haley had. They are twins (although I don't seem them as identical, I can see how peeps who don't know them can) and the bartender thought Haley had slammed back the first drink and was back for her second. Holly told her that no, it was her twin, but she didn't seem to believe her until later, when Haley went back in and confirmed that there were two of them. Too Funny!

    ReplyDelete