Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Anyone Want to Go See a Movie?

The votes are in and the following have been nominated for Best Picture: "Avatar," "The Blind Side," "District 9," "An Education," "The Hurt Locker," "Inglourious Basterds," "Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire," "A Serious Man," "Up," "Up in the Air."

As my long time followers know, the only time I’m game to go see a "serious" movie is at Oscar time and any other time I’m more into explosions and fart jokes. But this year, with the expansion of the field from five movies to ten, I’m happy to say that there are several in the list that I’m half-way interested in going to go see. Although I will say that I was sort of hoping that Julie and Julia would be nominated since I’d already reviewed it. J

What follows here will be my movie-by-movie inner-waffling of which movies to spend my hard-earned fundage on. The actual reviews will be contained in separate blog entries.

"Avatar" – I’ve been told by various people that this is a great movie. And of course it’s already surpassed James Cameron’s previous behemoth, Titantic, in money. But I was holding out to see if it was nominated before spending the money to go see it. I’ve also been told that if I’m going to go, go for broke and spend the money to see it in 3-D at the IMAX. I think this is a definite.

"The Blind Side" – I wanted to see this movie after I saw the first preview of it last summer/fall. The only reason I didn’t immediately go see it was that I didn’t have the time, what with moving, and Christmas shopping, and holiday travel. Another definite.

"District 9" – I know almost nothing about this movie other than I think it involves aliens coming to Earth and being herded into the eponymous "District 9," a containment area of some sort (hilarity, no doubt, ensues). This one might be a possibility, but I’m flexible. We’ll see what my schedule is like.

"An Education" – I know absolutely nothing about this movie, but from the name, it sounds educational, so it is not on my "must see" list.

"The Hurt Locker" – ditto, only from the name, I’m guessing that not much hilarity ensues.

"Inglourious Basterds" – Looks good, involves killing Nazis and Brad Pitt (although he’s almost another one of those actors who, if he did nothing but read from the Dictionary for two hours, they’d nominate him for an Oscar!) From the commercials, hilarity definitely ensues… so a good possibility.

"Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire" – I know next to nothing about this movie – I think it involved a poor, black pregnant teenager. Sounds "deep" and therefore it is not high on my "must see" list.

"A Serious Man" – I know absolutely nothing about this movie.

"Up" – An animated picture, so there’s a plus on its side. There’s a talking dog ("Squirrel!"), so another plus. I would consider this to be a definite go see.

"Up in the Air" – Well, see now here’s my problem. First, this movie has George Clooney in it. And as I’m pointed out before, I just don’t "get" George Clooney. It’s like almost everything he’s ever been in (post the "Facts of Life" era) automatically gets the "Oscar-buzz." Is the man so faboo that anything he puts his name to is award-worthy? I just don’t think so. On the other hand, I’ve been told this is a great movie… but that was by a woman who has the hots for George Clooney… so how much of her opinion of the movie is based on her hots for him? I’m not going to put this one on a list, either the "Most Likely See" list or the "Eww" list. We’ll see how things work out with my time and money as to whether or not I go see this one.

So, to sum up:

Most Likely See: Avatar, The Blind Side, Inglourious Basterds, and Up

Eww: An Education, The Hurt Locker, Precious, and A Serious Man

Like, Either Way, Man: District 9 and Up in the Air

Let the movie-going begin!! Where’s my popcorn?

No comments:

Post a Comment