Monday, February 22, 2010

Vacation Blog '10 - Day Two

Monday morning. I awake, blessedly on my own, rather than with the aid of an alarm or a cat. The view from the balcony is wonderful, although a little more sunny than that in the picture, because by the time that I thought to take a pic it got a little overcast.


Normally, my first instinct would have been to head on out for a walk on the beach, but two things stopped me. 1) my (as Natalie calls it,) chicken hair - thanks to the Darth Vader mask I wear to sleep in at night; and 2) my hair... well, not that styling, or lack thereof, but the color. I'd bought some color and wanted to do it this AM. After making the hair look presentable, and taking the aforementioned picture of the view, and checking my Treasure Madness on Facebook, we nabbed a couple of muffins from the stash of food we trundled down from the great north and hit the ... road!?
Yup, you read that right, we got in the car and drove, like, forever, to go to Wal-Mart AND Target. Gnarley needed a few accoutrements for the beach, Natalie wanted some shorts, and I'm sure I got something, but I can't think of anything at the moment... although Gnarley conveniently forgot his wallet, so I suppose I bought a bunch of crap for him!

We got back to the hotel, gathered our ipods and cameras and phones and hit the beach. The sand was chilly to the feet and the water was icy, but once the footsies got used to the temperature, the nerve endings in the feet died enough that we walked a fer piece down the beach.

This brings us to today's edition of Dear Tom.

Dear Tom, as we were walking down the beach we found a lot of this skanky looking foam (see picture). What is it?

Now back to our regularly-scheduled blog: At one point, we found a baby sting-ray upside down in a pool of tide water. It was spluttering at us and we felt bad for it, so Natalie got a stick and helped it turn over onto its tum... when we saw that the poor thing had a cut down its back.

After trotting back to the hotel, we washed our sandy feet off and hit the car to go in search of food, as all we'd eaten so far were a couple of my pumpkin-chocolate chip muffins. First, though, Souvenir City.

Dinner was at the Gulf Island Grill. Natalie had crabcakes and I had steak. It was yummy and we were stuffed. A little more shopping (a hat to cover my chicken hair in the morning, so I can have my walk pre-shower in the AM) and then back to the hotel to rest and watch some NCIS.

The forecast for tomorrow is sunny. I'm thinking the book, the ipod and the big ol'glass of Diet Pepsi and Rose'll spend the bulk of the day on the sand. I know Gnarley is ready. G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment