Wednesday, June 16, 2010

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

I should have bought a lottery ticket yesterday.

 

Over lunch, I went to the AT&T store to pre-order my iPhone.  When I got there, a woman came up and offered to help me.  I told her why I was there and she asked me my name (as she scribbled on a piece of paper on a clipboard).  I said, "Rosemary" and she squealed "Oh, my gosh!  MY name is Rosemary!" 

 

Ok, the Julies and Kellys of the world might be thinking… so?  But there aren't so many Rosemary's out there that I encounter them all that often, so when I do, it's an OMG! experience.

 

Well, as it turns out, the wait would have been too long, since I was on my lunch hour – Steve may not notice if I'm a couple of minutes late, but he might notice a two-hour lunch!  So I trundle off and forget the whole episode.  Until later…

 

After work, despite the fact that it is pouring down rain and lightning is striking right where I appear to be driving, I decided I really oughta stop by the specialty pet food place and pick up some food for my four-footed, furry fiends at home.  I brave the elements and get inside the store.  The clerk is helping another person, but I'm ok waiting because it's dry and cool inside and I figure my chances of being struck by lightning inside the store are less than inside the car.  While I'm waiting, another lady comes in and starts roaming around the store. 

 

Finally, it's my turn to be helped and I ask about the food I'd pre-ordered and I'm told that due to the storm it's still at the Newburgh store – hasn't made it to this store yet.  I'm like, ok, I'll come back later.  And the clerk asks my name, so she can make a note.  I say, "Rosemary" and the lady who came in after me squeals, "Oh, My, God!!  MY name is Rosemary!!"

 

Ok, at this point I'm thinking what are the odds?  I wish a knew a statistician.  I told Rosemary that she was the SECOND Rosemary I'd come across so far that day and that I was beginning to think I should go buy a lottery ticket or something.  She agreed that it certainly sounded like the universe was telling me something and wished me luck.

 

Unfortunately, as I was getting back in the car, a chicken crossed the road in front of me, and I forgot completely about getting a lottery ticket.  So I'm guessing the universe is shaking its head at me and giving up on helping me win the lottery.  I'm not sure what numbers I'd have picked anyway.  The Lost numbers are passé.  I suppose the quick pick option would have been as good anything.  Either way, that damn chicken was very expensive.  Damn chicken!


No comments:

Post a Comment