Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Walk This Way

Since mom got back from her trip to Indy to visit the Sibs, we've been getting up at (gulp!) 6 am each morning and walking up and down the road in front of the house. The four of us are going to go to England next June and we all, but mostly mom, needs to increase our strength and stamina.

It's been surprisingly easy to get up and walk, since there is someone to walk with. My alarm was always set for 6 am anyway. I just either hit the snooze a few times, or got up and farmed until it was time to go to work. So now, whichever one gets up first feeds the cats while the sluggard (yes, lately it's been me, but I have a good excuse, I've been working OT!), scurries around and gets her shoes on.

We chose early in the morning because the other option was after I get home from work and sometimes I'm home at 6 pm, sometimes (like last night…sigh..) I'm home at 8:15 pm. Plus, either way, I'm generally too pooped to … walk by that time of day. Plus, at 6 am there is very little traffic to worry about, and it's cooler and slightly less humid. This morning, though, it was pretty darned chilly! Almost wish I'd worn something heavier than the shorts I had on. Ya gotta love them "cold" fronts in the summer time!

Living out in the country, as we do, we also get to see a variety of flora.. or is it fauna.. well, both, really. One morning we saw Rocky the Raccoon down in the creek. Obviously, he was taking a break from his thieving ways in regard to Merle's Meow Mix! Stinkin' raccoon! Another morning we saw a Canadian goose fly down to the road then, as we trotted closer, lift off and fly away. There are two houses on the opposite side of the creek and one of them has two dogs – don't know what kind. One looks beagle-ish. I call him Sparky. Don't know either of their names, but every so often, one or both of them will join us on our walk. Yesterday Sparky walked us almost all the way home. Fortunately he didn't come up into the yard and scare Merle.

Speaking of Merle, this past Sunday morning, he followed me and mom to the road and sat there, about a foot into the road, at the top of the hill and watched us as we walked down and back. He was still there, waiting for us to return, as we breathed heavily back up the hill. He's a good boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment