Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Livin’ Single

I've been bach'ing it since Friday.   Last week, Sib #1 (in chronological order only, I'm not opening THAT can of worms!), Holly, and her daughter Natalie came down to visit and do things to help around the house.  The basement has never looked so good!  Then, when they left, they packed up mom and took her with them.  I'll admit it, I was looking forward to the time alone. 

 

I used to live alone, until last November, when I moved back home with mom after dad died in July.  My biggest concern about the move, other than having to do an inordinate amount of yard work, was that I really liked being alone.  I'm not one of those people who have to have someone with them in order to eat in a restaurant or to go see a movie.  I have a friend who swears that she has never gone to a movie by herself.  I'm thinking that I wouldn't get to see many movies if I had to wait for someone to go with.  For one thing, I have a very unique taste in movies.

 

Plus, if I need conversation, I'm not above having a conversation with myself.  And Yes, I do generally respond.  I'm not coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs, I realize there's no one there actually responding.  I like to say that talking to myself is my only source for intelligent communication, but let's face it, I'm known to ramble and get distracted easily, so mostly it's consists of "OMG, did you see that chicken!?"  Since I got the cats, almost five years ago, I just talk to them if I need to talk.  I can't just talk to myself, it would be rude to leave them out of the conversation, right?

 

Part of why I liked living alone is lack of accountability.  I can change my plans at the drop of a hat (or a chicken, as the case may be) and not have to notify a living soul (I had to get rid of the cats' phone, too many LD calls to Katmandu).  Another good part of living alone is the ability to do as much or as little house work as you stinkin' well want to and WHEN you want to.  Plus, if you want to have a bowl of the aforementioned Cocoa Puffs for dinner, there's no one there to judge you. (Plus there's no one to fight over the toy surprise from the Cocoa Puff box.)  If I wanted to come home, eat a nice unhealthy meal in my pj's, and watch TV until midnight all while working on my farm, it was ok by the ruling majority of the household.

 

So after I moved back home, we had the initial excitement of joining my two-cat household with mom's one-cat household, and the hilarity which ensued; then the holidays; then mom got pneumonia and Sophie went into liver failure.  Fortunately, everything seems to have settled down now, and the five of us have settled into a peaceful life.

 

Still, I was on board for the plan for mom to take a week to go north and vaca with the Sibs.  They left Friday, after mom got an all clear from her doctor (totally different story and possibly another blog, we'll see.)  Friday night, on the way home from work, I called Pizza the Hut for a carry-out pizza.  Now first, let me point out that when I called the PH number stored in my phone, I got the PH near my old apartment.  This means I haven't had carry-out pizza since November.  Oiy!

 

The pizza and I arrived home to 2 sleepy cats.  I say 2 because Winifred was nowhere to be seen.  I made sure she wasn't locked in a closet or the basement and then proceeded to not worry about her.  I ate my dinner, watched some tube, and by about 8pm, I was bored.  Saturday morning, I got up, washed and changed my sheets, cut up the rest of the watermelon and the pineapple for weeklong munching, did the dishes, scooped the litter boxes, and took out the trash.  Again I was bored, so I took a nap in the lawn chair in the sun then went into town to go see The A-Team movie.  Came home, went to bed early.  Sunday, after getting home from church, I mowed the lawn, watered the tomato and cucumber plants, took a shower, and took a nap.  Wasn't so much bored as tired from working in the heat.  I watched some tube and went to bed early.  Are you sensing a pattern here? 

 

So much like any vacation, I am enjoying myself, but will be ready to get back to the real world when mom returns (or rather, I go pick her up) on Saturday.  I think the cats will be really happy to see her.  I haven't been that entertaining to them so far.  But at least I've seen Winifred!


No comments:

Post a Comment