Monday, June 14, 2010

The First Step is Acknowledging You Have a Problem

I have a problem.  I spend far too much time playing games on my computer.  I regularly maintain three farms, 2 mafias, a café, and I dig for Treasure on three different accounts. 

 

The signs were all there.  Mom looking for me, would always find me at my computer.  My sweet baby girl, Sophie, who I could have easily lost this past winter, coming and pawing at my legs for attention.  At work, with the installation of a new computer system, came restrictions on access to the internet, resulting in withdrawal symptom-like, uh… symptoms.  People emailing me on Facebook asking me just how many games I play online.  (Ok, honestly, that one didn't bother me all that much – if my "excessive" game postings bother you, either block the game from your news feed, block me entirely, or get over it.)

 

The big sign that I have a problem, though, is the fact that it's aggravating my carpal tunnel.  It's getting distressingly difficult to harvest my crops with my hand going numb.  Well, that and everyone tells me that I have a BIG addiction coming my way…I'm even inviting it into my life… i.e., the iPhone.  

 

So I took a census of all the games I have participated in on Facebook, now or in the past.  The Vampire Wars and the Pirate Wars went easily and quickly, as I haven't played them in a long time.  Same with Farm Town.  Remember a year ago when I was just acknowledging THAT addiction?  But since the removal of those three didn't hurt, we have to get rid of something that will make an impact. 

 

So get ready, here it is.  I am dropping out of Mafia Wars, for both mine and Sophie's accounts.   That's saying something, too, I was at level 407!  And I am no longer going to actively work Dad and Sophie's farms.  Although if I decide to do a job, like the one where the prize was a grape sheep, I will reserve the right to nationalize Dad's farm because I need someone to help on the job.  Sophie isn't at a level high enough to do jobs, so she's safe.

 

I am keeping my farm on FarmVille for a variety of reasons.  1) They come out with the most adorable theme-related sheep and gnomes, two of my favorite things; 2) Zynga will be coming out with a FarmVille app for the iPhone at the end of the month, and I'm going to want to farm using that, at least until the novelty wears off; and 3) they have fun seasonal/holiday items which I like to collect and decorate my farm in an eclectic manner.  Martha Stewart probably wouldn't approve, but, I don't care.

 

I will continue to search for treasure on Treasure Madness, but only on MY account.  I will only continue to maintain Dad and Sophie's collections for organ harvesting, er… treasure harvesting, and for free health kits when no one else gives me one. 

 

Finally, I will not get rid of my Café in Café World, because it's just too cute with my Elvis impersonator and my dragon and my kitty clock with the swinging tail and googly eyes, but I plan on leaving the stoves idle.   And, while I'm at it, I think I will investigate getting myself a kitty clock with a swinging tail and googly eyes for real life!

 

There you have it.  We'll see how much of an impact this makes and whether more steps are necessary. 


No comments:

Post a Comment