Sunday, May 25, 2014

It's Springtime, It Must Be Time for Another Surgery!

It is a beautiful Sunday afternoon.  I and the cats, or some of them at least, are decked out on the balcony enjoying the wonderful day that God has made for us.  Okay, I'm not sure that the cats are acknowledging God's hand in it... after all, despite Mom's reading her daily Bible studies aloud to them, we still think they're just little heathens!  After all, they never wait to eat until after grace is said...

The last couple of weeks have been tiring for me.  As I posted in my last..er.. post, the MRI of my leg showed a bucket-handle tear of the lateral meniscus of my left knee.  I was referred to Dr. Beck at Orthopaedic Associates.  I ran his name past Greg (the lawyer at my office who is truly my twin brother from another mother.. and father.. well, except for that and he's 8 years younger than I am, he could truly be my twin Barger!)  He does insurance defense work and has an idea of doctors to avoid, if not exactly who to recommend, and he didn't know anything about him... he said to ask Michele, another attorney who does medical malpractice defense.  I asked Michele and she said that he was great - in fact, she's used him as an expert in some of her cases.. she said to tell him "Hi" for her.

My appointment with him was short and quick - he came in, introduced himself and his minions and said that I needed surgery.  He said that if he thought it could be fixed without surgery, he would always recommend that path first, but there's just no way in this case.  I told him I didn't care, I just want it fixed so I can be ready to hoof it around Ireland and Scotland in July!    He told me that that shouldn't be a problem, he could probably get me in his surgery schedule in the next two weeks, and I'd be hoofing it all over by July.  I then told him that Michele said "Hi" and his face lit up.  "You know Michele?" he asked.  I said, "well, I work at the same law firm with her, have known her for 24 (gulp!) years..."   He then gave me a hug and said turned to his minions to tell them that anyone who works for lawyers who defend doctors deserve (and get) Cadillac treatment from him and told me that if I needed anything from him, to call him day or night!

 Unfortunately, they weren't able to schedule my surgery until two weeks later, also known as this coming Wednesday.  I wasn't uber-pleased at the prospect of having to wait two weeks for a couple of reasons.  1) the pain in my appendage is getting worse each day and that fact alone makes it more difficult for me to maintain my usual good humor; B) Dr. Beck said to expect to be off work 1-2 weeks and the surgery is the Wednesday before Big Bossman Steve goes on a two-week vacation.  While you might think that this would be good timing because I wouldn't be missing too much at the office; anyone who has ever worked for anyone else will tell you that the boss's vacation from the office is like additional vacation time for the minion!  I've been looking forward to this.. I need this vacation!!!  (For those of you out there who know Steve, this is NOT a judgment of his bossmanship.  God himself could be my boss and I'd want Him to go on a vacation occasionally!)

However, I am choosing to look at this positively.  Plus, when I told Dr. Beck that I worked in an office, he said probably wouldn't need to be off but just a week, so I'm hoping not to miss too much of Steve's vacation!

Meanwhile my leg aches and I'm not sleeping all that well.  When 5am rolls around each morning and Sophie decides it's time to paw me awake, I've got to remind myself that I love her.  Oh well, it should be better soon. 

For my next posting, maybe I'll have pictures.  I thought I'd ask Dr. Beck if he'd take a pic of my knee mid-surgery for my blog.  We'll see. 

NOTE:  While searching for the minion pic (above), I found my next knitting/crochet project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment