Friday, May 2, 2014

Oh, Bartender!?

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a lightweight when it comes to drinking.  I can (and have) gotten tipsy on iced tea.. it depends more on the company for me than what I'm drinking.

In fact, since my surgery back in April 2011, all totaled, the alcohol I've drank (drunk?) would equal less than one beer...  which I would never drink even if I could.  blah..

So I find it interesting that in the past couple of months, I've found not one, but three new favorite drinks.  I thought I'd share.

First, we have Fireball Whiskey - when I Googled it for a picture, I discovered that it's all the rage over social media (depending on how old that HuffPo article was).  Who knew!?  So last December, my good friend, I'll call her "Lola" so as to lessen any potential embarrassment on her behalf, although I truly intend none by writing this..) invited me out to dinner with her and a friend from out of town (I don't remember her name, but I'm thinking it was "Lola", too, but to lessen potential confusion, I'm going to call her Sue).  After dinner, we went back to her apartment for hot cocoa and cupcakes.  (I know how to live it up, don't I?!)  Anyway, Lola's mother also came over for cocoa and cupcakes.  Now picture the scene, me and Lola, both good Baptist girls, and her mother, a good Baptist mom, and Sue...imagine my surprise when Lola brings out a bottle of Fireball Whiskey saying that it's fabulous in hot cocoa.  (And Lola, if you're reading this, it wasn't a bad surprise, it was just... surprise.) And it WAS great in hot cocoa.  As I sat there sipping mine, I envisioned me, in front of my fireplace, drinking fireball cocoa... trying to keep Cleo out of it. 

Consequently, on Valentine's Day (and I remember it was V-day because it was my Uncle Doug's funeral and we were there to pick up a meat tray for the funeral home), I went to Schnuck's and discovered that not only did they have it - who knew they sold "hard" liquor - but it was on sale, so I bought me a bottle.  Honestly I tend to forget it's there; but, on a couple occasions during this past very cold winter, when the fireplace was toasting up the 'do, Rose made her some cocoa and it was good.  Two thumbs up!

Our next contender I do not have a picture of... although maybe I can Google one..  yeah, sorry.  I tried but nothing fit.  Anyway, it is a frozen Long Island Iced Tea - I was invited to a surprise 60th birthday party for my friend Annette and it was at a local "Mexican" (i.e., not really) restaurant.  When I got there, several people from her office were there and they had already ordered frozen LIIT's.  That sounded fabulous so I decided to try one.  It was the perfect consistency of a frozen Coke like we used to get back when I was a kid at the St. Joe K-Mart before it closed and it tasted like iced tea...perfect.  (I have been told by the Sibs that LIIT's are the best and when made right, you can't taste the alcohol.)  Didn't taste like there was any alcohol in it at all.  Unfortunately, with my modified tum, I'm not sure how much alcohol I can handle or how much what I do drink will affect me, so when, after drinking about 1/10 of the mug, I started feeling nice and warm inside, I gave the rest of it to someone else at the table.  I had to drive home after all.   Again, two thumbs up... and let me just say that if anyone wants to take me to the Hacienda, and be my designated driver (duh), I'd love to have another one.

Lastly comes )what chronologically, if we're talking when I bought it, should come before the LIIT, but if we're talking about when I finally drank it, it's after...) a Bud Light Cran-Brrr-Rita.  I do like me some cranberry-flavored things and they tend to come out during the holiday season.  The bad thing is that it sat in the fridge for months before I drank it.  That's bad because when I went to the store recently to see about buying some more of the cranberry ones, they didn't have any - all they have now are mango and ...  ??  peach, maybe?  Seems I they are only out for the holidays, so next holiday season, Rose will have to stock up on these!  Again, two thumbs up!

My very final new drink, which contains no alcohol, (but I could see adding a wee bit of Fireball, maybe?) is coffee cocoa.  I am not a coffee drinker.  In fact, I really don't even like coffee-flavored things; Werther's does have a nice coffee carmel candy that is good though.  My mother will tell you that during the nine months of her otherwise blissful pregnancy with me, she couldn't even stomach the smell of coffee!  I've tried to taste it, but if the cup got closer than, say, 6 inches to my nose, I'd feel the urge to wretch!  Blah!  Anyway, since the tum modification, I can't drink sodas.  I'm not sure what would happen, maybe my tum would 'splode!  But as it's the only rule I was given which I have not broke, I try to keep away from the Diet Dews.  This severely reduces my options for caffeine intake.  I've honestly been reduced to taking Excedrine in the mornings just for the caffeine.  (Does that make me a drug addict? Hmm...)   So, one day I'm in the business office at work talking to Barb and she mentions that she drinks coffee cocoa - she makes her hot cocoa packet, only with coffee instead of water.  My brain started percolating (get it? :) and I tried it this morning and it wasn't too nasty.  I added a little more cream and sugar to it, but once I did, it went down pretty smooth!  It may take a little perfecting, and I still have to work on drinking my water, but I can now say I'm a coffee drinker... or at least I have, at the grand age of 45, drunk my first cup of coffee and I haven't tossed it back up!  Yet.  Baby steps, my friends, baby steps!


No comments:

Post a Comment