Thursday, May 14, 2009

Review - Star Trek

(Disclaimer: If you haven’t seen this movie, there may be information in this review that might be considered a “spoiler” - although I consciously try not to put major spoiler info in my reviews. Proceed with caution.)

I went to go see the new Star Trek movie yesterday. I’m not a hardcore Trekkie, but I’ve seen more than my fair share of the TV shows and all of the movies, with the possible exception of the last one. I don’t recall seeing it. Actually, I Tivo’ed it and tried to start it, but got bored about 15 minutes into it and gave up. I guess my point is that I went just hoping for an enjoyable Trek with old friends and I wasn’t disappointed.

I’m not 100% sure how I like the idea of the bad guy from the future going back in time and changing everyone’s past, but on the other hand, assuming this movie’s a hit and there will be more of them, we get to build a new relationship with the characters based on a new set of adventures. As it was, I didn’t remember enough of the characters’ past to know much of the difference.

Having said all that, I’m also not 100% sold on Chris Pine as the new Kirk. I suppose that I will grow to like him. But I ADORE Zachary Quinto as Spock – I think he was definitely born to be a Vulcan - however I read that in order to do the Vulcan hand thing, he had to have his fingers glued together. I find that odd. The little boy who played Spock as a child was just adorable with his little bowl hair cut and eyebrows. I enjoyed the new McCoy, Sulu and Chekov. And Scotty! (ah, well, as we all know, if it’s not Scottish it’s CRAP!) And I sort of assumed that Uhura and Kirk would be the “couple” of the show. Boy! Was I surprised to discover that Uhura and Spock had a thing going on. The face on Kirk as Uhura was smooching Spock goodbye before they beamed off to possible death, was priceless.

I enjoyed all the little things: McCoy’s “I’m a doctor, not a …” comments, Chekov’s accent being so thick the computer couldn’t ID his voice, the mention of Captain Archer and his dog, seeing Captain Pike in his wheelchair at the end (because those episodes with Captain Pike are in my top five favorite episodes of the original series… along with the Tribbles and that episode where they time travelled back to the 1940’s and met Joan Collins).

So my official opinion is that this movie is pretty stinkin’ good! Next up – Angels and Demons. But until then, live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment