Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day

As I sit here with bags of frozen veggie on my shoulders trying to cool down the sunburn I got on Saturday, I thought I should share about my Memorial Day weekend. For someone who originally had no specific plans for the weekend, I've been busy.

Saturday, I headed out to Wadesville. I'd been told that the yard really didn't need mowing, but that there were plenty of other things to do. We put newspaper and straw around the tomato, pepper and cucumber plants in the garden. Then I pounded stakes into the ground and we put cages around the plants. That of course has a two-fold purpose: 1) to help the plants grow upwards, and 2) to keep the cats from laying all over the plants because for some reason they think the plants are put there for them. A third, and more important purpose, as far as I'm concerned, is that by doing so, I earn a summer long supply of cukes and tomatos! So after that, I pruned and deheaded the snowball bushes and the forsethia (sp?) bush. Finally, we decided that since we won't be in town next weekend for me to mow, if I didn't mow this weekend, we'd need one of those big knives (whose name escapes me), you know the ones they use to whack their way thru the jungle in movies... anyway, we'd need one of those to get to the mailbox, so I mowed the lawn. Needless to say, I was TIRED by the time all of this was over, and I was sunburnt. I'm very fair skinned, and I know all about sunscreen, but I grew up in the 70's when the perfect female as blond and suntanned Farah Fawcett, so I want a tan. Stupid, yes, but... I have this desire to be tan. DON'T JUDGE ME! :)

So Sunday, after church, I went and bought some Solarcane (or CVS's version of it) and Mom, Dad and I went to go see Iron Man. Haley was right, it was a very good movie. And Robert Downey Jr. is hot. Machete! That's the big knife I was thinking of... Anyway, Iron Man was good and we went out for ice cream afterwards. I wanted to dunk my shoulders in said ice cream, but forced myself to withstand the temptation.

Today, I slept in until about 8. Not sure why, but Sophie allowed me to sleep in, maybe she realized it was a holiday. We had plans to go out to lunch, my Aunt Marilee and Uncle Doug were taking the 'Rents out for a belated anniversary present, and then we were all going to go see the Indiana Jones movie. Until it was time for them to pick me up, I sifted the litter box and took out the collective trash. Then I made a very momentous phone call.. See I have Dish Network, and I get their "Top 100" channels. But every month they give a couple three free channels to try to encourage you to upgrade to the next level. Well, one of May's free channels has been the Turner Classic Movie channel, and I've taped all the Saint movies, a bunch of cowboy movies for dad, a bunch of Alfie Hitchcock movies, and a variety of stuff for mom. We discussed it and figured we should investigate what the difference is between what I currently have and what I'd have to get to get TCM for good. So I called and the difference wasn't that big, and now I get several other new good looking channels, too. But the part that really wigs me out is WHILE I'M ON THE PHONE, she turns a switch, and I turn on the tv and I have all those new channels. How freakin' cool!

So then we had lunch at Red Lobster and then went and saw our movie (more on that later) and now I'm back here with quickly thawing veggies on my shoulders, and I'm it's time to decide what to have for dinner! :)

Hope all had a Happy Memorial Day.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have been busy, but I'm only going to comment on one of these new blog entries! I TOLD you IRONMAN was good! :-)

    We have good mower news, too! The neighbor must have pushed a reset switch or something, so now the riding mower is working again! WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete